In this blog post, we’re diving into the exciting world of thinking routines strategies. We’ll help you understand these concepts without making things complicated. Grab a cup of☕ and let’s get started.
First of all, definitions:
What are the Thinking Routines?
According to the website of Project Zero, Harvard Graduate School of Education, “a thinking routine is a set of questions or a brief sequence of steps used to scaffold and support student thinking. PZ researchers designed thinking routines to deepen students’ thinking and to help make that thinking visible.”
Visual Thinking: the idea and the tools
According to the Project Zero official website, “at the core of Visible Thinking are practices that help make thinking visible: Thinking Routines loosely guide learners’ thought processes and encourage active processing”.
Thinking routines and visible thinking strategies are like a dynamic duo that can help you understand things on a deeper level. It’s like having a pair of special glasses for your mind’s eye!
Grasping the Essence of Thinking Routines
Thinking routines, those tools you might have heard of, are actually quite handy for understanding complex ideas. They’re like a roadmap for your thoughts, guiding them step by step. Think of it as a friendly GPS for your mind!
Navigating Thinking Routines
Here’s how it rolls: you choose a thinking routine that fits your goal. Just like picking the right tool for a job. You can check the complete toolbox here. Apply it to your situation, and then follow its steps– like following a recipe in a cookbook. There’s observing, questioning, and making connections. And at the end, you pause and reflect on what you’ve learned. It’s like a thoughtful chat with yourself or your peers!
Exploring Visible Thinking Strategies
Now, this may sound a bit intriguing, but thinking routines are just cool, easy-to-use techniques to make your thoughts visible to others and to yourself. It’s like a template that guides your ideas, to prevent them being all over the place.
Trying Out Thinking Routines
Let’s dive into some well-known thinking routines that can revolutionize your approach:
- See: Observe the subject closely, noting details and patterns.
- Think: Reflect on your observations. What thoughts or questions arise?
- Wonder: Formulate questions about the subject that intrigue you.
TIP: you can start by practising with simple images and photographs, until you get familiar with the technique.
- Think: Individually think about a topic or question.
- Pair: Discuss your thoughts with a partner, exchanging ideas.
- Share: Share your combined thoughts with the group.
NOTE: this is a great way to make everyine’s voice heard.
3. Compass Points
- N: Note what you like or find interesting.
- E: Express any concerns or worries.
- W: Identify what you want to learn more about.
- S: Share suggestions for improvement or changes.
Why This Matters
This are some possible outcomes you can get:
- Sparks excitement and active engagement in your learning journey.
- Helps you understand how you think about things, giving you a clearer perspective and guidelines.
- Boosts collaborative learning by encouraging discussion and diverse viewpoints.
- Equips you with top-notch skills like critical thinking, problem-solving, and clear communication.
Applying These Concepts in Professional Settings
So, how can you make the most of thinking routines and visible thinking strategies in your professional life? Let’s explore!
In Your Workplace
Thinking routines can be your secret weapon for tackling complex tasks:
- Integrate thinking routines into your workflow to streamline your thought process.
- Encourage thoughtful discussions among your team members.
- Use visible thinking strategies to simplify intricate concepts for everyone.
Elevating Your Expertise
When it comes to professional growth, thinking routines and visible thinking strategies can work wonders:
- Employ thinking routines to encourage self-reflection and improvement.
- Incorporate visible thinking strategies in workshops to boost collaboration and communication.
- Foster an ongoing dialogue about the best methods and strategies for optimal results.
Wrapping Up the Professional Journey
To sum it all up, thinking routines and visible thinking strategies are like your personal toolkit for unlocking deeper insights. They’re like your allies in the world of learning and understanding. So, get ready to embark on this exciting journey of discovery and take your professional game to the next level!